For a copy of
the REVISED IGS PLAN - please email this website via the Contact Page - The Plans are currently NOT on the COUNCIL'S website
- If you would like to hear more about the IGS REVISED Plans DEC
20th - the Fairy Hills Ivanhoe Residents Group are having a :-
PUBLIC MEETING - SUNDAY FEB 16th, 2- 4pm at Seddon St Uniting Church Hall
to discuss the Revised Plans and Councils view of them.
( Invitation as below )
There is also a Council PUBLIC MEETING
FEB 19th THE CENTRE IVANHOE to discuss the Proposed IGS LEASE of CHELSWORTH PARK - For more see our Chelsworth Park Page or the bottom of the Invitation below
Fairy Hills Ivanhoe Group NEWSLETTER 9/2/14
IVANHOE GRAMMAR SCHOOL - NEW PLAN DEC 20TH
A revised development plan has been prepared by Ivanhoe Grammar School for works
- THE RESIDENT REPRESENTATIVE GROUP APPOINTED BY COUNCIL (Dec 2013) – “IGRIG” - (IVANHOE GRAMMAR RESIDENTS “INTEREST “ GROUP ) – MET with Council OVER XMAS AND HAS RECEIVED E-COPIES OF
- IGRIG ARRANGED FOR A SCHOOL TOUR (Jan 22nd) - with Council staff and the IGS consultants to review the accuracy of the Plans and the group identified many inconsistencies and FLAWS in
- IT IS EXPECTED COUNCIL WILL ASK THE SCHOOL FOR A FURTHER REVISION OF THE PLANS - To correct inconsistencies and errors, and to clarify many details, BEFORE THE PLANS ARE FORMALLY ADVERTISED TO
- FORMAL EXHIBITION WILL BE FOR ONLY 4 WEEKS – during which time – Council will hold at least one PUBLIC MEETING to consider the plans. Residents will be able to submit objections to the
Plans over this time.
- The IGRIG have been very critical of the lack of information supplied by IGS with the current plans (including the absence of responses to some earlier questions asked by Council regarding
the FIRST version of the Plan.) Contradictions in the Plan and on the TOUR - about critical issues such as building heights and distances from boundaries; entry points to the NEW PROPOSED CAR PARK under the IGS SOUTHERN OVAL and the accuracy of the traffic
and parking figures supplied - are all issues of concern
The new Plans are the IGS response to the communities concerns with the earlier plans of May 2013 and include:
- INCREASED STUDENT NUMBERS? What are the real figures?
1400 → 1690 Dec 2013 Plan (1400 → 1750 May 2013 plan (+25%))
Jan 2014 - IGRIG Reps establish at a meeting with the consultants that the ELC (Early Learning Centre) student numbers are NOT INCLUDED in either figure (1400 students was the limit set by Council for the previous school plan)
- INCREASED STAFF NUMBERS? Again what are the real figures?
Same increase (211 to 260 (+23%) May 2013 plan - However - there is no breakdown of staff roles in either Plan
- for the figures to be verifiable, AND it is unclear whether the ELC staff numbers are included in any figures; (Staff numbers are used to calculate parking demand so THIS NEEDS TO BE CLEAR)
A fence (1.8m) and gate CLOSING the public pathway from MERTON ST to FAIRY ST - Despite current assurances from the School Principal, Rod Fraser, ( Jan 2014 ) and earlier assurances at a
Public Meeting from the schools consultants (in August 2013) and later MR Fraser again in the Heidelberg Leader - that the fences would be removed from the Plan, THEY ARE STILL INCLUDED!
STREET and PINE STREET - One way ? / New exit Lower H Rd
One way ONE-WAY TRAFFIC (May 2013) is indicated (NORTH OF PINE) despite statements from the Schools consultants this was removed;
A NEW EXIT AT LOWER HEIDLEBERG RD appears while access past the childcare centre to Marshall St is removed; A NEW
FOOTPATH for DROP OFF on the WEST SIDE RUSSELL ST remains ; NO STANDING on the EAST SIDE of Russell St north of Pine(See Fig 3.1Appendix E of the Transport Plan) ; CONVERT
PINE ST TO ONE-WAY TRAFFIC IS implied in New Plan
The height of the building will be FOUR levels at Merton St and FIVE or SIX Levels
at Russell St. The Actual Height of “4 levels” is given as 13.6M in the plan, which is about 4.4 times a normal room height in Ivanhoe homes (3M). THIS MEANS THE BUILDING WILL BE EQUIVALENT TO A 4.4 STOREY RESIDENTIAL HOME IN MERTON ST
– Yet the document also says no new buildings will be over two or three stories ?
Car park under building - was 50 spaces but is now zero ( on paper) -
but the consultants say 20 0r 25 spaces will be added – with the ramp into car park at the Merton st / Ridgeway corner; Safe pedestrian crossing has NOT been demonstrated – these ( imaginary ) spaces are a swap from The
- NEW 100 SPACE CAR PARK UNDER OVAL
A new car park is proposed under the Southern Oval, with access from Fairy /Elphin Street
and Russell Street. Various parts of the documentation hide this but the school has clearly indicated on the tour with IGRIG and in a note to residents - this is the proposal.
5-6 STOREY SPORTS CENTER adjacent to The BOULEVARD and nearby houses; Includes-Tiered seating - capacity - still not provided; Residential Set-backs
- massively conflicting figures – plans unreliable ; Height 14.5M May 2013 →17.5M Dec 2013 –Both well above what is required for indoor sports ; BOULEVARD ENTRANCE and Car Park replaced
with access via residential streets. TheMaintenance Store and parking has NOT been replaced but has disappeared – despite removal of the underground car park the building height has NOT been lowered.
Still NO plans at all to show how the parts of the various buildings will work and where entrances and exits will be and which parts of the buildings will be used after hours.
More Info - Fairy Hills Ivanhoe – Community meeting
Seddon St CHURCH HALL – Ivanhoe – Car parking off Norman St
Copies of the Dec 2013 Plans available at:
CHELSWORTH PARK – 30 year LEASE MEETING/s
Wednesday FEB 19th
Ivanhoe Town Hall 6.30pm
Sunday FEB 16th Seddon St Church Hall 2pm
Your community assets at Chelsworth Park
are proposed to be leased to Ivanhoe Grammar school - A 30 year Lease (20 initial years and 10 year option), will go on exhibition soon. Thanks to a petition and other community action the Chelsworth Park Tennis Club Lease will NOW BE RENEWED with the COMMUNITY
CLUB rather than with IGS - however attention still needs to be focussed on the rest of the LEASE and how community benefits CAN BE ASSURED over the long life of the lease, and whether the community is getting value for the Lease over such a long period. To
be part of a community discussion about the Lease - Residents can attend the NEXT Fairy Hills Ivanhoe Community meeting on
SUNDAY 16TH FEB at 2PM – Seddon St CHURCH
- BRING QUESTIONS/ IDEAS FOR DISCUSSION ON SUNDAY - in preparation for the COUNCIL Info night on WEDNESDAY FEB 19th – For Council Fact Sheet and comments see links at www.fairyhillsivanhoe.com.au)
The Details of COUNCIL information evening on the IGS LEASE are:
Date: 19 February 2014
Time: 6.30pm to 7.30pm
Venue: The Centre Ivanhoe, McCubbin Room.
Address: 275 Upper
Heidelberg Road, Ivanhoe.
RSVP: firstname.lastname@example.org by 12 February 2014 – if possible